“Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.” –Psalm 107:1
As we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving here in the United States, I wanted to share some wonderful news with you, and at the end I have a prayer request.
Let’s start with the great news…
The final reports from this fall’s 40 Days for Life campaigns are now in and you are the very FIRST to get this news.
Thanks to your prayers, fasting, participation in peaceful vigils outside abortion centers in 179 cities, and grassroots outreach, the total number of documented lives saved by this fall’s 40 Days for Life is…
That’s 614 children — made in the image and likeness of God — who are alive today because of YOU.
That also represents 614 mothers who have been spared a life of regrets because of YOU.
As you gather with friends and family to eat turkey, watch football, and celebrate Thanksgiving, please remember these 614 beautiful reasons to be especially thankful this year.
And here’s my prayer request…
Over the last two weeks, we received 6,177 surveys with great input on where this national effort needs to go from here. To be honest, we were shocked — and a bit overwhelmed — by the huge response which was nearly TRIPLE what we’ve ever gotten before.
Your insights were eye-opening. For example…
- 35.0% of the respondents said that 40 Days for Life was the first pro-life activity they have EVER taken an active role in
- 92.2% said that they experienced personal and/or spiritual growth through their participation in 40 Days for Life
- 99.0% told us it was “critically important” or “important” to expand this effort (88.6% said critically important, 10.4% said important)
With the mandate you have given us to expand this effort, we reviewed the information from your surveys during strategic planning sessions over the last few days where two things became crystal clear:
- The two 40 Days for Life campaigns now scheduled for 2009 (February 25 – April 5 and September 23 – November 1) are going to be gigantic efforts, requiring a massive scaling-up effort on the part of our national team.
- A tremendous need has been expressed to build on the momentum following a 40 Days for Life in a community. Tools, training, and strategies — with proven results — are desperately needed to educate, equip, and empower local people to establish and/or grow pro-life efforts that can “fight the good fight” over the long haul.
These are ENORMOUS opportunities…
…But so are the daunting challenges we will have to face together.
Why God has given such an enormous mission to a fledgling little effort like 40 Days for Life is beyond me.
Keep in mind that the 40 Days for Life organization is only 19 months old.
Our national team is made up of only one full-time employee (me), three contract workers, and a handful of dedicated volunteers who have worked tirelessly to ensure the success of this effort.
We don’t have an office and we work at all hours from our homes or on the road by laptop and cell phone.
We invested every resource we had into this fall’s campaign because the stakes were so high.
And to top it off, we’re coming off the devastating national and state elections that make local pro-life efforts more important than ever.
(Isn’t it just like God to give us an opportunity to stretch our faith while doing His work?)
Bottom line — you’ve made it very clear that we have an opportunity to turn the tide together and make a decisive impact against the injustice of abortion…
…And with much prayer and planning, we are nearly ready to announce aggressive strategic plans to do just that…
…But I have to be totally honest and tell you that we can’t do it on our own.
We’re going to need your prayers and your help.
Next Tuesday, watch for a post here with the subject line:
In that message, I’ll let you know the specifics of when we will be unveiling the big plans for the next phase of this growing effort — and how YOU can help make a lifesaving impact.
In the meantime, our national team, my family, and I would deeply appreciate your prayers.
The best is yet to come!
National Campaign Director
40 Days for Life
P.S.- Have a very safe and blessed Thanksgiving. We certainly have much to be thankful for!