40 DAYS FOR LIFE IS PRAYER, FASTING, VIGIL, AND OUTREACH
Prayer keeps us rooted in the fact that it is our desire to carry out God's will. Fasting is a sacrifice and discipline that helps us reach beyond our own limitations with God's help.
CONSTANT VIGIL is the most visible component of 40 Days for Life.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH gives people the opportunity to visibly show their support for an end to abortion. During 40 Days for Life, the pro-life message is proactively taken to the community through focused, grassroots educational efforts. A small team of volunteers reaches out door-to-door with informational flyers to raise awareness about abortion.
Church involvement, media contact and campus outreach also contribute to the impact of our 40 Days for Life Campaign.
What is 40 Days for Life?
-- ALL BEGGING GOD FOR AN END TO ABORTION.
You may not realize it but 40 Days for Life is transforming lives here and around the world. Over just the last 5 years, our prayers , fasting, vigils and outreach contributed to amazing results around the world:
* 500,000 have joined to pray and fast for an end to abortion
* 15,000 church congregations have participated in the 40 Days for Life campaigns
* 5,045 lives reported as spared from abortion -- and those are just the ones we know about.
* Men and women have been spared from the effects of abortion, including a lifetime of regrets.
* 61 workers have quit and walked away from the industry their jobs and walked away from the abortion industry
* 21 abortion facilities completely closed following local 40 Days for Life campaigns
* Women and men with past abortion experiences have begun post-abortion healing and recovery
* 1,500 news stories have been featured in radio shows, newspapers, magazines and TV programs
* After 38 years of legalized abortion, people of faith are experiencing a renewed sense of HOPE!
PRAYER at our vigils takes whatever peaceful prayer-form that suits us. Our Lord assures us that where two or more are gathered, there He is also; whenever possible, we prefer to pray with a friend. We are there to pray ONLY! We are not there to engage anyone in conversation, certainly not to be any more than respectful and courteous. Experience proves to us that changing hearts and minds is the work of the Spirit; we bring Christ present and let Him do the work.
FASTING is not a Christian diet; it is a form of physical prayer. You can fast from food, TV, alcohol ... anything that separates you from God. Christ told us some demons can only be driven out by prayer and fasting. The two go hand in hand.
We maintain a prayer vigil outside a place where children are aborted. It is maintained at least12 hours a day, with prayer continuing during the other 12 hours, seven days a week. It is a prayerful witness to the clinic's patients and employees, and to the entire community, that evil is in our midst and that with God's help, it will be defeated.