Topics We Cover On This Episode
- [1:00] How you can join the upcoming 40 Days for Life Campaign
- [3:36] Steve and Robert join Shawn to offer their fasting insights
- [5:52] Why in the world should you fast?
- [9:08] Defeating the perfectionist mentality
- [10:30] How suffering draws us closer to Jesus
- [12:03] Biblical examples of fasting
- [13:37] Fasting etiquette
- [15:31] Practical ways anyone can fast
- [26:17] A powerful story on the impact of fasting
On the eve of the 40 Days for Life campaign kickoff, take an in-depth look at the other part of prayer. Fasting is a biblical and essential part of seeking God. This is especially true with regard to praying for the lives of the unborn. On this episode of the 40 Days for Life Podcast, Shawn, Steve, and Robert discuss the whys and hows of spiritual fasting so that you can be ready for the upcoming campaign.
On the eve of the 40 Days for Life campaign kickoff, take an in-depth look at spiritual fasting and why it’s an essential part of praying for the unborn with this episode of the #40DaysforLife Podcast. #Prolife #PrayforLife #Abortion Click To Tweet
Trade physical hunger for a spiritual one
It’s no secret that American culture is one of excess. Our plates tower ever higher with the richest and fattiest of foods while our appetite for self-control dwindles. What better way is there to go against the grain and offer God a sacrifice of praise than spiritual fasting? However, food isn’t the only way we can engage in a fast. Find out how you can recover your hunger for God and experience immense spiritual growth on this episode of the podcast.
Perfectionism is the enemy of commitment
Part of the reason why fasting is so difficult for some people is that they bite off more than they can chew. It’s as if we miss some imaginary mark by being unable to go days on end without food. The reality is that by setting unrealistic goals in spiritual fasting we are only making ourselves miserable and missing the point entirely. This episode will show you how to use fasting as a reminder to pray for the unborn through small sacrifices and how not to miss the purpose of fasting in the process.Part of the reason fasting is so difficult for some people is that they bite off more than they can chew. Learn how to use fasting as a reminder to pray for the unborn on this episode of the #40DaysforLife Podcast. #Prolife #PrayforLife #Abortion Click To Tweet
Jesus is the closest when our flesh is the farthest
Often times it can be difficult to see self-denial as a good thing. Our culture trains us to reject anything that doesn’t make us feel good. In fact, we spend our whole lives trying to live comfortably. Yet pursuing Jesus calls us to a certain level of discomfort. Fasting certainly confirms that statement. Learn how willingness to give up physical comforts for a season can reap a lifetime of spiritual benefits on this episode of the 40 Days for Life Podcast.Find out the “Top 10 Ways Anyone Can Fast for 40 Days” on this week’s episode of the #40DaysforLife Podcast. #Prolife #PrayforLife #Abortion Click To Tweet
The Top 10 Ways Anyone Can Fast for 40 Days
- Eating one meal a day
- Decreasing food consumption at every meal
- Certain types of food (sweets, meats, snacks, etc.)
- Waking up an hour early for prayer
- TV/Internet/Social Media
- Sleeping without a pillow
- Cold showers
Resources & People Mentioned
- Fasting and Feasting by William Ward
- Previous episodes on fasting: #89 and #107
- The Beginning of the End of Abortion – Pick up your copy on Amazon and leave a review!